Friday, October 26, 2007
Thursday, October 18, 2007
In a blender add two cups of ice.
1/2 oz. Grand Marnier
1/2 oz. White or Orange Curacao
1/2 oz. Triple Sec
1 1/2 oz. fresh orange juice
1 oz. Gin
Blend till smooth, garnish with orange slice.
Friday, October 12, 2007
Alright my loyal readers...all two of you. A neighbor stopped by with an assortment of Patron Tequila. We are primarily rum drinkers and the prospect of trying some high end tequilas couldnt be passed up.
The three contenders: Patron Silver (green bow), Patron Reposado (orange), and Patron Anejo (yellow).
All were served neat with a wedge of lime after the taste. Four judges. Water between each, starting lighter to darker.
First up, the Silver (Blanco) A 100% De Agave which is produced using only the sugars from the Weber blue agave. An unaged tequila and Patrons most popular. It is very smooth, no bite, little to no heat, great finish with a slight tequila taste. It is amazingly smooth. It is not cheap, but it deserves to be in your bar.
The second is the Reposado. It is a mixture of Silver and Anjeo aged 6 months and is 100% De Agave. It has a slight hint of oak flavor and it gives that classic tequila taste. It would make a great margarita. We were all a little disappointed in the taste drinking it neat as a sipper. I would have a hard time serving it in mixed drinks because its not cheap and only those with great appreciation for tequila would know the difference.
The Anejo is a 100% De Agave and aged up to 12 months. This was the stand out of the three. Extra smooth, great taste, clean finish and basically wonderful. It would be a crime if this were used to mix drinks with. A sipper only and a damn good one at that. We didnt even use the lime for this one, as you just dont need it. Around $65 USD for a .750l makes it less than cheap, but it will have a place in my bar for that special occasion or any day you feel like a quick visit to Mexico.
Tequilas have a new place in our bar and we are looking forward to trying some more premium brands out there. Patron is only the starting point as its easy to find and tastes great. The fancy hand blown glass bottles only adds to the allure of this fine libation. Of course, your mileage may vary. Goce de mis amigos.
Wednesday, October 10, 2007
THIS IS FLORIDA AND ONLY FLORIDANS KNOW THIS...
- "Down South" means Key West
- "Panhandling" means going to Pensacola.
- You think no-one over 70 should be allowed to drive.
- Flip-flops are everyday wear.
- Shoes are for business meetings and church.
- Sweet tea can be served at any meal.
- An alligator once walked through your neighborhood.
- You smirk when a game show's "Grand Prize" is a trip or cruise to Florida.
- You measure distance in minutes.
- You have a drawer full of bathing suits, and one sweatshirt.
- You get annoyed at the tourists who feed seagulls.
- All the local festivals are named after a fruit.
- A mountain is any hill 100 feet above sea level.
- You think everyone from a bigger city has a northern accent.
- You know the four seasons really are: almost summer, summer, >not summer but really hot, and Christmas.
- It's not soda, cola, or pop...its coke, regardless of > brand or flavor, "What kinda coke you want?"
- Anything under 95 is just warm.
- Anything under 70 is chilly.
- You've hosted a hurricane party.
- You go to a theme park for an afternoon, and know when > to get on the best rides.
- You pass on the right and honk at the elderly.
- You understand the futility of exterminating cockroaches.
- You can pronounce Okeechobee, Kissimmee, Withlacoochee, Okahumpka and Loxahatchee.
- You understand why it's better to have a friend with a boat, than have a boat yourself.
- Bumper stickers on the pickup in front of you include: various fish, NRA, and a confederate flag.
- You were 8 before you realized they made houses without pools.
- You were 12 when you first met someone who couldn't swim.
- You get angry when people say "Florida isn't really part of the SOUTH"
- You've worn shorts and used the A/C on Christmas.
- You know what the "stingray shuffle" is, and why it's > important!
- Socks are only for bowling
- Orange juice from concentrate makes you vomit
- Tap water makes you vomit
- You never use an umbrella because you know the rain > will be over in five minutes
- A good parking place has nothing to do with distance from the store, but everything to do with shade.
- You can tell the difference between fire ant bites and mosquito bites.
- You've driven through Yeehaw Junction.
- You could swim before you could read.
- You have to drive north to get to The South.
- You know that no other grocery store can compare to Publix.
- Every other house had blue roofs in 2004-2005.
- You know that anything under a Category 3 just isn't worth waking up for.
- You dread lovebug season.
- You are on a first name basis with the Hurricane list. They aren't Hurricane Charley, Hurricane Frances...but Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne.
- You know what a snowbird is and you hate them.
- You know why flamingos are pink.
- You think a six-foot alligator is actually pretty average.
Tails of the Merman...my good buddy over at http://exp33.blogspot.com/ has created one of todays greatest action heros...The Merman. Enjoy